pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

The coming debate

I've read a number of opinion pieces regarding the coming televised debate between John Flipper Kerry and George W. Bush tomorrow evening and they are loaded with disparate expectations. Some think the debate will have little or no effect on the opinion polls or the coming election. Others think that it will be enormously important in shaping the final weeks of the campaigns.
Most seem to think that, barring some sort of unexpected and obvious blunder, the horse race will begin to tighten up once more. Others see little other outcome but a widening of W's lead, culminating in a landslide victory for W with an undeniable mandate for his second term of office.

But most of them seem to agree on one fundamental in particular. This is that in order to succeed, Kerry must decisively "win" the debate, while W has the luxury of needing merely not to "lose".

Certainly Kerry has the media on his side. This will go a long way toward helping push Kerry into that necessary Win column.

Nevermind that Kerry is a loser.

My own hope is that this debate might go some way toward actually helping to mend the rift between everyday Americans regarding the issue of Iraq. I think there are thousands of Americans who haven't really come to grips with thinking about what their country ought to do about the threats of radical Islam and rogue states that might help them harm us. These people are disturbed that we are at war and they may be fuzzy about why we had to bring regime change in Iraq.
I think there may be a lot of fence-sitters tuning in. And when they hear the arguments framed in stark contrast side by side, it will go a long way toward mending that rift.

The bottom line is that W will remind us that we are at war and have inherited all the challenges that war will throw at a nation.
Kerry will try to convince us that we are primarily involved in a struggle against criminal actions and that W's "so-called war" is actually making things worse.

No matter how you slice it, in my book that will be good television. Kerry and W are not the sole participants of this debate. It is an entire nation that debates.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger Tony Huddleston said…

    Love the posting. I've read a number of personal opinions on the debate -which I wouldn't miss for the world- and most media-related sites (or just sites that have news media content) seem to think that "W", or as I like to call him, G.W. missed the boat when it came time to get to business in Iraq.
    And you're also right that "Radical Islamist" peoples and nations that help them are key to winning the war on terrorism.
    You're right, the fence-riders will fall one way or another finally and we'll see our leader, G.W. make the second term, by mandate hopefully. I can't stand the thought of another voter problem here in Florida (Where I live). Let's just hope the news (Fox included) keeps the poll results tight-lipped until real numbers come out. That'll help keep things clear. God, please no more chads.
    Ok, enough rambling time. :)
    Let's see G.W. Win again!
    BTW, I've put a link on my blog to yours. Hope you don't mind.
    Tony

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger TFB said…

    You are so right. While everyone in the world is going to be watching these debates, the exciting part is that the fence sitters will be tuning in. I hope by then it will be obvious to them which is the correct choice.
    And there are minds out there that are not made up. Being that I love politics so much I find it hard to remember that not everyone is that way. Some people do wait until the end and the end is always punctuated by the debates.

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Tony Huddleston.
    I'm glad you enjoy my blog and I couldn't be happier with your link. Thank you.
    Kudos to you for a very creative blog name.

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Jo.
    Given the high degree of ignis fatuus (yes, I found this word in my Thesaurus :p) we see in these fever swamps, I wonder what perceptions will be cited next day.
    Sure, Kerry's orange color will have faded by then. But will W's horns, goat's hooves and pointed tail be successfully hidden from view?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home