pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

"America! Fuck Yeah!"

I just saw Team America; World Police.
If you are sick and tired of Hollywood lefties like Tim Robbins, Jeanne Garafalo, Matt Damon, Helen Hunt, Alec Baldwin, Susan Sarandon, etcetera, then your day has come. (Sadly, Johnny Depp is spared.) Now you can go spend your precious entertainment dollars on a movie that stars marionettes on strings and the voices are done by the guys from South Park. In fact, the whole movie was done by the guys from South Park.
I'm not a South Park fan. At least I wasn't yesterday. I may be now, as this movie rocked the Casbah.
It would seem that the South Park guys and I have something in common. We are fans of Gerry Anderson and his SuperMarionation television shows from Britain from the 60s through the 90s. The most notable of these would have to be The Thunderbirds. (No relation to pinkmonkeybird). There is something fascinating about an entire world created in miniature with miniature people dancing about on strings, directed before a camera as high drama. It is simply outrageous.
I could go on about Gerry Anderson and his universes.
But this post is about Team America.
I'm tempted to claim that this movie is pro Bush Doctrine. But maybe it's simply pro comedy and pro success. On those scores it succeeds as the laughs are abundant. On the success score though, while I and many others are judging Team America to be a critical success, Drudge reported that some other movie was besting it at the box office. And so someone at Democratic Underground took comfort in this.

The opening scene won my heart from the get-go. Team America is in gay Paris. OBL is found on the street carrying a suitcase loaded with WMD. In the ensuing fight to get him, Team America destroys the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and the city is left in ruins. After seeing New York City destroyed in other movies countless times, this movie starts off on the right foot with a bang.
Nevermind watching a puppet vomit for 3 or 4 minutes straight. That, alone, is worth the price of admission. Never mind that we get to see puppets copulating.
But what I loved about Team America were the scenes where the above mentioned Hollywood celebrities are shot, burnt, blown up, devoured by panther-kitties, splattered...oh, who's keeping track?
Besides the celebrity actors, we also get to see Hans Blix devoured by hungry sharks. That got me out of my seat, applauding wildly and hooting at the screen. It also nearly got me evicted from the theater.
I am afraid I am a mite too enthusiastic about this churlish juvenile puppet show. If you wanna see what happens to Michael Moore you have to pay. I may be giving away too many secrets of this movie and I may be playing the spoiler. When the Team America attack crafts fire out of Mount Rushmore and lunge upon the forces of evil and the theme music rises, "America! Fuck yeah!", I was all the way there.
Hugh Hewitt warns you that there is offensive language. But then, you knew that. He plugged this movie on the air (Lying to Lileks that there is a scene where Kim Jong Il smashes his Hummels, the cur) (James, we feel your pain. Is it asking too much that your friends be kind to you?).
Hugh is way too proper to recommend this bawdy movie in print.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger TFB said…

    That settles it then. It is on my list of movies to see this weekend. Friday is Michael Moore Hates America day so I have to see that first.

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Gimme a call before you go. I want to see it again. It's just too hilarious. And I can't get that theme music out of my head.

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great Movie!

    I think it has a more subtle pro Bush message, rather than the Michael Moore preaching to the choir approach.

    Rob

     

Post a Comment

<< Home