pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Uptown showdown

Some of us gathered at Hennepin & Lake again in my own Uptown neighborhood last night.

In case you don't know, Uptown is the epicenter of Leftist protest and demonstrations in Minneapolis. When U.S. forces launch a military strike against foreign enemies, the Lefties of this town show up here en masse to block traffic and barricade the streets with flaming dumpsters.

So for us Bush-Cheney supporters to go sign-waving and chanting here is no exaggeration to say we were entering the viper's nest. When we arrived at 7 p.m. there was one lone Kerry demonstrator. We numbered seven. Things were looking pretty good. Frequently we would be encouraged by passing motorists and pedestrians.
Then some "anarchists" appeared on the scene. I'd call them colorful, except for the fact that they wore exclusively black colors. They began by calling us Nazis. Soon they were shouting at us that we had no business allowing the child daughter of one of our participants to stand with us as Bush is slaughtering babies in Iraq. Didn't we know that? In a brief, but all too long "exchange" the anarchist wanted to know why we would support Bush. After all, she was appalled that we would support this baby killer. Of course, any answer I offered to her was immeditately shouted down with her abundantly loud and shrill voice. All the while, she admonished us for blindly following a murderer.

It got worse.

A man came along who belligerently walked, barrel-chested, into the mother of that child. She retreated. I stood my ground as this bully then walked into me. He wore a leather jacket, keeping his hands in his jacket pockets the whole time. He had a foul mouth telling us we were jack-booted fascists, ironically, as he intimidated us with what may have been concealed in his jacket. Brazenly, he blew air into my friend's face as he called him a thug and a Nazi.
I told this man to move along and leave us. He finally did.

There was another incident when a man was so consumed with shouting insults at our president from his car that he lost control of his truck and lost track of the semaphore lights. He accidentally pushed his front bumper into the pedestrian walkway.

On the plus side, I recruited a couple of Republicans who I know who had just happened along during our event. They will be signing up as volunteers for the 72 Hour Task Force, so they assure me. Also, there were numerous people who were appalled at the shameful behaviors of these anarchists and Bush-haters who verbally and physically accosted us. Some of them spoke up and defended our right to free speech. Others could note the contrasts in our behaviors, with unfavorable judgment upon our attackers.

After 90 minutes of this the Kerry forces began to multiply. One woman told us that we were trespassing on their turf. They didn't like it when I told her that Uptown is Bush Country. Of course, I know it is not Bush Country. But it's a catchy phrase and it seems to demoralize them.

Oddly, I never saw a single police car or policeman this entire evening.

I still wonder what the man in the leather jacket had in his pockets that make him so bold. Nothing, I hope.


4 Comments:

  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger TFB said…

    Scott,
    I truly am happy about the great work you have been doing for Bush, but BE CAREFUL!!
    Many of these Kerry supporters do NOT play fair!
    Going out and drumming up support for Bush is honorable, just don't get yourself beat up over it.These "peace-loving" lefties can be some of the most violent people you will come across!

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Thanks Jo. I will.
    President Clinton once said he feels your pain. I'd hate to feel my own.
    Did you read RealClearPolitics today?

    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/commentary.html

    Are we to be silenced out of fear? I'm sure you don't think so. Just the other day Ann Coulter narrowly missed getting pied.

    They are getting desperate because they can see they are losing.

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Blogger Swiftee said…

    Hey PMB, next time you plan a party like this let me know! I would love to bring a few friends with me to provide an unobtrusive biker back up for ya, especially in Up[chuck]Town..what a hoot!

     
  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    You gotchur self a deal, Swiftee.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home