pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Walk for the President

I hosted my own Walk for the President this morning. It was a success! Through the President's website I invited the same crowd that attended my Party for the President a couple months ago. Almost a dozen people were at my door at 10 o'clock this morning. We walked on down to Hennepin & Lake and made our presence known with our Bush-Cheney '04 signs and chants of "Uptown is Bush Country!" Some of the local residents objected to this assertion and responded with, "No, it's not" or "I think you're in the wrong neighborhood". But we were very encouraged by the many numerous approvals of horn honking, thumbs up and the ever stellar, "You rock!"
After a quick cup of hot coffee at the leftist hangout Dunn Brothers Coffee, (although this is a different location of the franchise than that previously visited Dunn Bros.) we were reinforced enough to hit the streets of Uptown and knock on doors from a select list of Republican-leaning households. We let these folks know that W hopes he will have their support this Election Day. Then we followed up with the same line of inquiry that we have been conducting over the phone of late. That is to say, we asked if they have received their request for absentee ballots, did they fill that out and return it and did they then vote absentee. If they shun the absentee ballot and insist upon voting at their local polling place we want to be sure they are registered to vote and understand how important it is to cast their vote on Election Day.
And then, of course, we need more people to do the work we are already doing, as we will need more help. We will need more volunteers for the President now and we will need more volunteers for the vaunted 72-Hour Task Force.

One fellow saw me leaving the coffee shop and struck up a conversation with me about this work in liberal Uptown. He seemed to be cheered that we would make an effort here and he encouraged me to press on, thanking me. That kind of stuff really goes a long way toward fortifying the campaign volunteer. Of course, I let him know that we need guys like him for the 72-Hour Task Force. He said he'd think about it. I am sure he will think about it. I hope he will follow up by acting upon it.
There was another household that I admired for their courage. They actually had the snot to answer their door in their bathrobes and bare feet! I appreciated the opportunity to speak with them so very much. It didn't matter to me, their appearances. That taught me a lesson. I have no reason to fear answering my door when I am unattractive and disheveled. Damn it, it's my home. I can even answer the door in my pajamas if I wish and have no call to apologize for it!
We were lucky we didn't have terrible weather. It was dry. Yes, we had blustery wind. Yes, it was quite cold (We lost a mother and her 7-year old daughter because the girl's teeth were chattering), but we accomplished our mission. Tomorrow morning I will enter our data in the campaign data base. This info will feed into the 72-Hour Task Force effort.

As I repeatedly tell people, this election will be won by whichever party does the better job of getting their people to the polls. That's what this day was all about. We're making sure they understand they must vote. It is not okay to assume that this is a trivial matter to be ignored or forgotten about.

A great day.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Doug said…

    Terrific report Scott. Good work!

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger TFB said…

    Thank you for all the work you have been doing. It is people like you that are helping to assure we go red this Nov. 2nd.
    Yesterday was cold and icky too so you should get extra bonus points for that!

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    We had a terrific group of folks pounding the pavement for this. It's very encouraging.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home