pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Saturday, November 27, 2004

Plan 9 From Outer Space

I love this movie. I own it on VHS and I suppose there is a little voice in the back of my head crying out that I must purchase the dvd version. I suppose I'll capitulate.

There are many, many mysteries in this film. Some major, some minor. Here's a minor mystery.

In the story, the young man at the center of the story is Jeff Trent. He's a headstrong young man who sees a UFO whilst piloting a commercial airliner.

Here's his description;

JEFF TRENT: I saw a flying saucer.

PAULA TRENT: Saucer? (She is holding a coffee cup and saucer on her knee. She places them upon the nearby table.) You mean from up there?

JEFF TRENT: Yeah, or its counterpart. It was shaped like a huge cigar.

Okay, it might also help to note that we have actually seen this UFO in the movie. It's a silver metallic disk, resembling a saucer. The crew bought three different versions of plastic flying saucer models. And, upon close inspection, I would have to say that they look very much like models . But in Ed Wood's own words;

He [Jim Thompson, the cameraman] wanted to use old Cadillac hubcaps. And that is what turned out to be our flying saucer.

So why in the world does Jeff Trent describe this "flying saucer" (apparently a synonym for UFO) as a "huge cigar"? The flying saucer in this movie actually looks like a saucer that is flying.
There is no resemblance to a cigar. A cigar is the shape of a rocket. Or, if you prefer, a rocket is shaped like a cigar.

No other explanation to be found, folks. It had to be the gin.

I watch this movie at least once per year. It's a classic.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's a classic film, and has the last footage shot of Bela Lugosi, which makes it worth seeing. I might have to get a copy as well (I don't have the VHS).

    Todd (aka Sqotty)

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Thanks for your Comment, Sqotty.

    Be sure to stop in at pmb frequently for all your latest film critiques from the 1950s and 1900s.
    Learn how down is up and up is down.

    Do you own the Star Trek dvds yet, Sqotty?

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Swiftee said…

    Not only does Bela appear, but Plan nine has the best zombie this side of Al Gore.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home