pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Reclaiming my life

Regular readers of this blog will know that I have been experiencing some technical problems with my computer and with Blogger.
Those problems got worse over this past week. I had written some posts that were lost forever to the Ethersphere.
Some uninstalls and reinstalls, a virus scan or two and a reboot later....let's hope things are reasonably functional now.

So, I'll try again.

The election is over and I'm letting go. In the bleary sunshine of November 3rd I gathered up all the lawn signs, storing them away in the garage. I took down the placards in my living room windows. I removed the pins and buttons from my jacket. I peeled the W sticker off my bicycle fender. I folded and stowed away the various tee shirts. I threw the BC cap deeper in the closet where I will not reach for it as I have for these past several months.

The job is done and done well. There is no longer any reason to make myself a walking Bush-Cheney posterboard.

I wish that Minnesota had been won. That would have made me very satisfied. Maybe if we'd successfully won Minnesota for W, I would continue to wear the gear for awhile longer. It would be grand to walk around wearing these allegiances on my sleeve as it were, knowing that the state went my way. Maybe that explains why many of my neighbors haven't bothered to take down their Kerry-Edwards lawnsigns. They smugly adhere to their victory in the North Star state. I can just hear them; "We the proud. We the strong. We held the line. If the rest of the country had been so tough as we have been, America would now be celebrating a Kerry presidency. F*** You, Bushitler! Minnesota defies your reign!"

Or maybe they're just too lazy to pull them down. I don't know.

In any case, I am ready to move on. I'm just a regular guy again. Bush wins and I can live my life again. No longer do I have to carry the fight to the streets. No longer do I have to wonder if people were sneering at me because I am a Bushie.
I am not really all that different from my fellow Minnesotans. I'm a Social Liberal. I believe in many of the same things my Minnesotan neighbors believe in. I think one of the main differences is the question of the GWOT. I believe with all my heart that George W. Bush is the right man at the right time to lead this country in that war. My neighbors preferred the flip-flopping, prevaricating, Internationalist.

Now it doesn't much matter. It's settled. The people have spoken. I respect my fellow Minnesotans and their position. And sure, go ahead and leave your signs in the yard for now. Leave your Kerry-Edwards bumper stickers on your cars for now.

But let go in a few weeks, okay? Don't carry this torch like you still do the Paul Wellstone torch. There's more to life than politics.

Let go, Minnesota. I have.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger TFB said…

    Letting go? As in not blogging anymore or letting go as in you don't want to be politcally involved anymore?

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Sorry. I should have made that question clear.

    I will continue to blog, and blog about politics I will.

    But girl, what has been the primary focus of pinkmonkeybird since its inception? It has been far and away about re-electing George W. Bush as our president.

    We won. I shall shift my focus to other subjects. The GWOT will remain a primary interest. Cultural influences will continue to attract me. The blogosphere and all of its marvels will continue to engage me.

    I can drop one cause; re-electing George W. Bush to the White House. We did it! Yeah!

    Let's move on.

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Doug said…

    And mostly, David Bowie will finally take his rightful place in your blogging as Supreme Overlord!!!

    But seriously, thanks so much for your election work and election blogging Scott! You've been a terrific resource and inspiration to me.

    Plus, you've been a great guy to share a beer and a conversation with on occasion. I sure hope that doesn't end now that the election is over.

     
  • At 6:49 AM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    It is a bit odd that I've never found a single occasion to blog on Bowie yet. I did have a slight disagreement with him over at his website, but that's another story.
    If he bothered to notice my objections, I think it's a bit amusing that a character that he created is arguing with him on the Internet.
    And Thus Spake Zarathustra.

    Thank you, Doug. The respect and learning is mutual. Hopefully it will not be too long before we clink glasses in salute to our newly reelected President.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home