pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

We honor them

This is a special week. The brave young men and women of our armed forces are doing an extraordinary job of recapturing Fallujah (or, as the hapless Senator John Kerry calls it, Fallujer). We honor them for their bravery, their excellence, their sacrifices for America and for Iraq and all the world.
Today is the 229th birthdate of the United States Marine Corp., so Hugh Hewitt informs us.
And the calendar says that tomorrow is Veteran's Day.

As a life long civilian I can only try and imagine what it would like to be a soldier. My octogenarian father is a U.S. Marine. He served in the South Pacific in World War II. Thank you, Dad. Thank you, all you military men and women.

In my support for President Bush's call for regime change in Iraq I was criticisms by many an opponent of the war. (This blog didn't exist in that run-up to the war. The opponents I speak of are from the heavily leftist Politics & Religion forum of BowieNet) How could I, who had never served, have the temerity and gall to support a war when I don't even know what it means to fight and die in uniform? I think that's an empty charge. As a citizen I am entitled to my opinions of how this country should be defended. No one is obligated to listen to my opinions, but I reserve the right to hold them and espouse them in this free nation that is the United States.

And as all of us should know, it is the courage and excellence of our veterans and our soldiers who keep that right of free speech secure for citizens such as myself and my leftist friends. That's why it is important to honor these fine men and women on these two days as well as the other 363 days of the year. There are many ways to do this, and they are rewarding to the giver as well as the soldier.


Saturday there will be a gathering at Keegan's Irish Pub in honor of our veterans and military people. Be sure to follow the links to learn of ways to offer real and tangible support to this cause.

But that doesn't discount the intangible. I have been given a gift that I had not counted on in this struggle and in these sacrifices of our soldiers. I learned to pray to God again. Time and again I have heard our president speak of the prayers he feels offered by the people of the nation and the world. Feeling a need to do more, I have come to pray again for our leaders and for our men & women in harm's way. It feels good to pray for others. It is something that I had lost long ago in a jaded and uncaring world. And it's reacquainted me with the Lord and with Jesus in a way I had not thought was important.

Thank you, Lord. Keep them safe. Amen.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    "I have been given a gift that I had not counted on in this struggle and in these sacrifices of our soldiers. I learned to pray to God again....... It is something that I had lost long ago in a jaded and uncaring world. And it's reacquainted me with the Lord and with Jesus in a way I had not thought was important.

    Thank you so much for sharing that. Imagine for a moment how it feels for God to once again have a relationship with you where you can learn to know each other. It's an amazing thing that we are "precious in his sight."

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Thank you for your nice Comment.

    I have always held my Faith in the deepest part of my heart. Going to church on Sunday doesn't work very well for me. But a private refection with my Creator has almost always been comforting to me.

    Maybe I'll have the courage to explore this further one day.

    Thank you for your response.

    Love on ya.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home