pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Thursday, December 16, 2004

"Enterprise, come in"

I am so happy.
Today I received my package from amazon.com. It's the three seasons package of dvds of the original series of Star Trek.
I had talked myself out of buying this pricey package. But then I got some money for my birthday and then the check from the City of Minneapolis came into my mailbox for my work as an election judge last Election Day. Between the two, I could indulge this guilty pleasure.
After all, I know these episodes inside-out. So I had to rationalize my purchase.
I don't pretend to be as big a nerd as James Lileks, but I love Star Trek's Original Series. I vividly recall racing home on my bike from little league baseball practice in order to plant myself in front of the family t.v. set and see these episodes. There was nothing else like it on television and I loved it.
This dvd commodity is a beautiful thing. It's creative and it's nearly complete. I'm a little disappointed that I don't yet see The Cage included here. The Cage was the first pilot episode that was later recut to create the two part episode called The Managerie. I'd really like to have The Cage in its original form. At least The Managerie has some pop-up notes to explain its genesis. I would love to discover that The Cage is included as an easter egg. But I've only just begun to explore these weird boxes, so I don't know yet.

I have only just begun to boldly go where no man has gone before.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger TFB said…

    The original series rocks.
    Shatner....James Bond in Space.
    Good stuff.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Lileks and other Star Trek geeks seem to like The Next Generation and some or all of the various spin-off Treks. I stubbornly allow for only the OS. (Incidentally, so too, does actor Ben Stiller.) I don't even care for the movies that were made with the original cast members. In fact, for years, I sneered at the embarrassing third season. Over time, I have come to love their campy personality.
    I must have been tired the night I wrote this post, as it's rather short. I apologise for that.
    My mind still reels at the awesome fact that now I have every OS Star Trek in my media library, available for viewing upon command in beautiful digital quality. And I can view them without commercial interruption! The fact that I can now do this was perhaps not unimaginable to the 13-year-old boy I was back in 1966 when this innovative show first aired *sigh*. But the fact that it has been realized is, in itself, a handy bit of science-fiction become science reality.

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger drjonz said…

    I could watch Shatner crap. Seriously, he's that entertaining. I've always loved the guy and even watched TJ Hooker just because he was so cool.

    I was just watching the Managerie with my don the other night. Like at 2:00 am. A DVD would sure be easier!

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger drjonz said…

    I watched it with my son, not my don. Stupid keyboard.

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    drjonz.
    Then you must be a fan of Boston Legal on Sunday nights. They cast Shatner perfectly as a rather despicable womanizing boor of a lawyer. The role fits him like a glove.

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger drjonz said…

    A pure pile of crap show, but I have watched it just to see Shatner. Denny Crane.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home