pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Hewitt's new book

I've posted Comments around the local MOB blogs that voiced a skepticism about reading Hugh Hewitt's new book, Blog. No one has lambasted my bad behavior yet. That's probably because I haven't done anything wrong. Are we not men? Are we not free to have independent minds and choose to read that which we find interesting and informative? Are we expected to rush off like robots to the bookstore simply because the great Hugh Hewitt has written a new book?

Of course not.

So, what's my problem? I don't have a problem. I listen to The Hugh Hewitt Show every week, practically. On that show, Hugh talks about blogs. He has prominent bloggers as guests on his program. They discuss blogging and how the blogosphere is revolutionizing journalism and politics. In my spare time I visit the blogosphere myself at home. I have this very blog you are reading which I write. I learn quite a bit about blogs from first hand experience. Why do I need to buy a book by the great Hugh Hewitt? Would I learn anything?

According to Power Line, yes.

According to Bogus Gold, yes.

In fact, the whole blogosphere seems to be going bonkers over this book as they trip over each other to promote it as much as all the other blogs listed in their blogrolls.

Hugh is much admired and respected by many, myself included. There is something for all of us to gain when the world reads Hugh's book. That's because the power of the blogosphere is participation. The more folks involved in the blogosphere, the more power instilled in it (as evidenced by the felling of Dan Rather and his phony documents through the minions of Power Line and Little Green Footballs).

I work with a fellow who's interested in politics to some degree. I asked him if he reads the blogs.

"What's a blog, anyway?", he asked.

That guy needs to read Hewitt's book. Not necessarily me. Should I buy it for him? Maybe I should take Hugh's advice and buy two to give to twice as many friends and acquaintances.

I'm still not completely convinced I need to read this book. But I'll promise to remain open minded about it. Maybe I'll buy it on impulse some day when I'm bored. If and when I read it, I'll have something new to say in my own blog; pinkmonkeybird. Maybe I'll write a book about my experience reading it.

One last thought. My blog is not the most successful of blogs in the sphere. I can't claim to be such a know-it-all about blogs while this is the case. Otherwise, I'd have to be enjoying gazillions of hits per day. Maybe my blog would benefit from reading Blog.

Food for thought.


6 Comments:

  • At 11:39 PM, Blogger R-Five said…

    I'm sure we could both learn a bit more about blogging from Hugh's book. But I'm more of a recreational blogger. I don't do ads or seek the big time, just some intellectual exercise with worthy minds like yours PMB.

    I posted a comment at Bogus last month saying I thought (feared) Hugh had thrown this book together, in time for Christmas. It seemed too easy to write, unlike "If it's not close, they can't cheat" which obviously required some detailed research.

    Long and short of it, I'll buy something else. Like you, I listen to many hours of Hugh, probably have heard most of it already.

     
  • At 6:53 AM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Welcome back to pmb, R-Five.
    Bloggers like you & I are addressed in Hugh's book. We're members of a club that is informed by the core blogs (Blog Corp?) that have gained our trust. You & I disseminate the information that comes from the crucial blogs. That's why the Northern Alliance facilitated the creation of the MN Organization of Blogs. And the blogosphere, being the meritocracy that it is, we MOBsters are encouraged to be ambitious enough to contribute to the discussion in the sphere. Power in numbers makes the blogosphere even more effective.

    I love reading. There are so many books that I want to read. At the moment, I don't see much reason to read a book that re-explains to me how RatherGate fell out. I think I already know. But I'm happy to see books out to inform a sleepy public that hasn't yet been awakened.

    Dan Rather and Nick Coleman should read Blog! But they're old media and they're entrenched. Besides, they've got their education right in their own behinds as they found out the hard way what blogs are.

    You & I should co-author a book of our own about our diets. We'll call it Flab.

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger Kurt (aka Noodles) said…

    Contrary to the pictures posted at Bogus Gold today I don't have a copy of the book either. Doug really talked up the book last night at Keegan's and I will probably pick up a copy eventually but sometimes just blogging is enough without having to read about it too. I too have a few other books in mind to read before I get to Hugh's.

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Noodles.
    Welcome to the Sourpuss Club.

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Blogger Doug said…

    Why would you need to read the book? My live-blog wasn't enough for you? It's like the Cliff Notes version of the book itself.

    Seriously, I'm one of those folks who is very interested in the blog-medium itself, so I found it indispensable. I think you'd like it if you read it. But if you're not terribly concerned about where blogging is likely to go, and have other things on your plate, I don't think you need to join the rush to read it asap.

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Very true, Doug.
    Thanks for saving me $20. I've jotted some of your Cliff notes on my hand just in case there is a surprise quiz.
    In regards to where the blogosphere is going, I haven't read Hugh's book, but I think I can guess that, too. Of course, no one, not even the great Hugh Hewitt, can see the future without flaw.
    MSM will learn that the blogs can't be beaten or replaced, so they will try and utilize them, even try to co-opt them. Bloggers will be integrated into the msm as much as feasible. The relationship will shift from one of symbosis to sympathy. This sympathetic relationship will go a long way toward obliterating the arrogance of monopoly in the msm that we see today.
    Of course, media will alway remain pluralistic, as well it should.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home