pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

SD63 chili party

I was raised in Senate District 63 back in the 1950s & 1960s. So going to this party for the Richfield caucus was a bit like going back home. I wish my Mom made chili this good. Don't get me wrong. My mother is a terrific cook. It's just that she's a pure Minnesotan and chili was never a strong suit for a German-American girl growing up in the Minnesota River valley. In fact, I jokingly refer to Mom's chili as hamburger soup.
This party was so successful many of the chili offerings were already gone when I got there. And I still got some great tasting chili con carne. The count was somewhere close to 150 people (or personas, as the Mexicans call them). Many of these people were new friends I had made on the campaign trail in exactly the same way I'd described for SD59s party only last Saturday. Not surprisingly there is a lot of crossover at these affairs. One of the speakers was the same, Governor Pawlenty's Chief of Staff, Dan McElroy. He's getting out the Governor's message, building support for the recently revealed budget.
The first speaker was Hennepin County Sheriff Patrick McGowan. He laid out in very engaging terms how important it is to remember that terrorist attacks must continue to be taken seriously and defended against, and prepared for. I dare say that every eye and ear in the church basement was alert to the Sheriff's message. And what can we citizens do? We can be the eyes and ears of first responders to attack. We can notice odd smells, strange goings-on or sights and then dutifully report them.
Patrick Kirby and Amy Vrudny, Republican Candidates for this district's House seats also gave assessments of their campaigns and their thoughts on the district. Mrs. Vrudny gave a most spirited account of her experience at the polling place when she was sick with pregnancy. I couldn't help but smile at the charms of true grassroots politics.
Oh yes, and it was my honor to receive an award from Rob Hewitt, the district Chair, for my volunteer work this past season. Thank you, SD63! Fortunately I have enough wall to put yet another framed piece up for display in my home.
There's another blogger in the neighborhood. I didn't get a chance to say hello to Jerome who writes in his blog SD63: red life in a district of blue. If Jerome is reading this, I'd like to say that I've saved SD63:rliadob to my Favorites folder. Unfortunately Blogger will not allow me to have a blogroll.

This evening was full of wild adventure. Some friends from my own district were kind enough to give me a ride home in their Bonneville. Unfortunately, we got a flat tire and had to change it at a gas station. I offered a theory that the Democrats must have been behind this. Ha! Just kidding. And if I get heartburn from the chili I expect the blame for that will have to rest squarely with my Republican friends as well.

A fine evening. Welcome to pinkmonkeybird all you SD63 personas.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Scott,

    Thanks for coming and thank you for all of your hard work on the Bush Campaign. I'm really excited to see what is happening with Republican Politics in Minneapolis. It's like a renascence of Red!

    Rob

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Jerry Plagge, Jr. said…

    Look me up PMB! Maybe we can hook up at Keegan's sometime? I can also show you how to insert a blogroll into your template on blogger. It is a piece of cake!

     
  • At 6:53 AM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Jerry.
    Sure, yes we must get together sometime, preferably over a beer at Keegan's.
    So far as my blogroll goes, unfortunately my problem is not so simple as writing it. I once had a blogroll. But Blogger has some sort of code that prohibits it. I know that sounds like paranoida, but my long-time readers will attest that I once had a blogroll and gif customizations in my sidebar.
    In fact, I have a blogroll written in my template right now. But it won't publish.

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oops, I meant to say Renaissance of Red! Well I think you know what I meant.

    Rob

     

Post a Comment

<< Home