pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Rather biased goodbyes and thoughts

First off, let me say that I hope you enjoyed a whole week at pinkmonkeybird with the top post as it has been (scroll down one, please) with Donald Trump firing Kenneth. Today was Dan Rather's final day as CBS Evening News anchor.
Today, going to visit RatherBiased blog is a little like going to the candy shop. That is, if you like candy. I had actually forgotten how self-promoting Dan Rather is until I read his farewell statement;

We have shared a lot in the 24 years we've been meeting here each evening.
And before I say good night this night, I need to say thank you. Thank you to the thousands of wonderful professionals at CBS News, past and present, with whom it has been my honor to work over these years.
And a deeply felt thanks to all of you, who have let us into your homes night after night. It has been a privilege and one never taken lightly. Not long after I first came to the anchor chair I briefly signed off using the word "courage."
I want to return to it now, in a different way, to a nation still nursing a broken heart for what happened here in 2001, and especially to those who found themselves closest to the events of September 11.
To our soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines in dangerous places. To those who have endured the tsunami, and to all who have suffered natural disasters and who must find the will to rebuild.
To the oppressed and to those whose lot it is to struggle in financial hardship or in failing health. To my fellow journalists in places where reporting the truth means risking all.
And to each of you, courage.
For the "CBS Evening News," Dan Rather reporting. Good night.


I don't think I am alone when I say that I find it quite rude of this man to thank the brave and courageous people of the world that populate the network's reportage. It makes me feel as though Rather thinks that it is he and his "thousands of wonderful professionals at CBS News" who had brought us the drama of the world stage. Gimme a break and goodbye already.

Here's one reflection from RatherBiased;

In the end, the stereotype that fits him best is that of a classical tragic figure, defined by contrasting characteristics, achieving great success and ultimately being done in by the very traits that brought him to his vaunted position.

It's going to be a relief to see Bob Schieffer reporting the news at CBS from now on for awhile. Not that I will seek it out. I don't get my news from television much these days. But that's another posting on another day.

Oh yes, and one more thing. Dan, you can't quit because you're fired.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:52 PM, Blogger R-Five said…

    I found myself thinking of Willy Loman from Death of a Salesman. After a wasted, phony life he commits suicide. No one mourns.

    People will remember Murrow, Edwards, and Cronkite. Dan? They'd rather not.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home