pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Friday, April 29, 2005

More on the press conference

Chad the Elder over at Fraters Libertas was sickened by the msm 'tude during the Q & A.

I know that in the minds of these reporters, they're asking probing questions to try to help inform the public. But in my opinion, about 80% of the questions directed toward the President tonight were nothing more than not-so-subtle snarky shots, motivated by hostility towards his policies, and designed to catch the President in a "gotcha moment."

Any objective observer would have to agree. "Probing questions?" perhaps. But one can almost see a picture in David Gregory's mind as he frames his question. It's a picture of the heroic David Gregory standing up to the president who "lied and people died". It's a picture of a brave David Gregory asking tough questions that blow away the facade obscuring the truth. It's a heroic David Gregory that exposes the Bush Administration's using religion to divide the nation and power grab the Judiciary with the lever of the Religious Right.
Gregory had framed his question so carefully, he was worried W might not address every facet of it and so he dogged him with "Sorry, I asked you what you think of the ways faith is being used in our political debates, not just in society."

W had to assure Gregory that he knew what he asked him.

No, I know you asked me that. Well, I can only speak to myself, and I am mindful that people in political office should not say to somebody, you're not equally American if you don't happen to agree with my view of religion. As I said, I think faith is a personal issue, and I get great strength from my faith. But I don't condemn somebody in the political process because they may not agree with me on religion.
The great thing about America, David, is that you should be allowed to worship any way you want, and if you choose not to worship, you're equally as patriotic as somebody who does worship. And if you choose to worship, you're equally American if you're a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim. That's the wonderful thing about our country, and that's the way it should be.


Bottom line is, this is the way it works. The ambitious reporter asks provocative "gotcha" questions. Then the president uses the opportunity to present his view.

There was another network news weasel named Terry. I've seen him before on television. Once he was called on for his question he did his best Peter Jennings impression. It was ridiculous. He used all the dramatic pauses and hushed intones of seriousness that he had evidently practiced in front of his mirror at home for many many hours

Mr. President, your State Department has reported that terrorist attacks around the world are at an all-time high. If we're winning the war on terrorism, as you say, how do you explain that more people are dying in terrorist attacks on your watch than ever before?

W handled his question great, too.

I can honestly say, for myself I am sooooooo happy that the days of msm's dominance are over. These people with their microphones and their cameras and their hair are just so much bafoonery now that alternative means of information delivery have been created.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home