pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Sunday, May 15, 2005

The hiawatha LRT

When I arrived at the convention yesterday morning, I ran into my friend Doug who lives just down the beach from me off of Lake Calhoun. "How did you get here?," he asked, knowing very well that I don't drive.
"I took the train," I replied.

I doubt the organizers of the convention chose to locate this function at the Embassy Suites hotel because it was near the LRT station. Most Republicans, most Americans for that matter, drive cars. But when I decide to go somewhere within the metro, I almost always elect to use mass transit before I think about getting on the phone in search of a ride. And with this hotel being right on the line, it was a no-brainer. I blame that choice on my somewhat stubborn independence.

I may be a Republican (And I don't think I'm a Rhino-Republican), but I like the LRT and I like the smoking ban that allowed me to attend the convention without second-hand tobacco smoke polluting my lungs. In my opinion, some Republicans are overzealous with their independent freedoms agenda. Great cities have great mass transit choices and government legitimately serves the public in health issues.

To deny this a purist Republican would have to oppose such offices as the United States Postal Service.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger American Lung Association of Minnesota said…

    Well said, Scott.

    Next time you ride light rail, do a quick count of the other riders on the train. Without the train, at least half of those people would be in vehicles, adding to downtown pollution, traffic and parking problems.

    Did you note the story in the paper this weekend on the big crowds live music shows are drawing lately? Many club and nightclub owners say they are seeing more new customers since Prince's heydey in the 80s.

    So much for the smoking ban killing business in Minneapolis bars and nightclubs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home