pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Thursday, May 12, 2005

The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

My week was growing a little mundane and I realized that I should see a movie to cheer myself up. I've been going to the gym daily and, while I love getting that exercise, a movie would bring a bit of variety to my week. So, I picked this one.
It's getting a little late. I'm tired and should shuffle off to bed now. But before I do, a few words about this movie.
I never read the book but had heard some favorable comments about it through the years. Notably, one of my sisters said she thought it was hilarious. And so, while I never thought I'd like to read the book, why not take the George Costanza solution and just see the movie?

As we all know, sometimes movies are faithful to books and usually they are not. No matter. I could use a bit of whimsical fantasy tonight. It was reasonably entertaining. Sometimes I thought it seemed to be trying too hard. I laughed once, I think. There were a couple of charming surprises.

One aspect I couldn't get over was actress Zooey Deschanel. She seemed to be the incarnation of a young Cindy Williams! I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks so.

But I did feel a bit like I was cheated out of a story. I hope I'm not spoiling anything by saying that this is yet another movie that brings the message; Life is a journey. Enjoy it. This movie felt a bit like a Terry Gilliam movie. Time Bandits, perhaps.

Okay. I was looking for light entertainment and I got it. Fair enough

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home