pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Sunday, May 01, 2005

I'm a Mac person now

I just made the big jump from IBM computer to MacIntosh. I've had this G4 for longer than I care to admit. When my Hewlett-Packard died today while I was tinkering around with it, that was the motivating factor that got me pushed to connect my Mac. Now it will take several weeks for me to get used to it and to customize everything the way I will want it.
I'm still using the HP monitor, however. Yes, this is the one I accidentally poured water into last week. I wish I could say my screen looks great, but it's still yellowed out. For some reason, the yellow haze went away after about 5 days, only to come back again yesterday. Maybe I've spoiled it.
So what happens to my HP? It's so sick that I expect I'll have to blow away the hard drive and reinstall everything. That's one of the reasons I got a Mac. It's my understanding that Macs don't go corrupt like pcs do. That's because the software is more closely designed for Mac use.
I'm sure I will post a thing or two about my experiences as I learn to use MacIntosh. Sigh. Another radical life adjustment. In the wake of 9/11 I switched from Independent/Democrat to Republican. And now I'm switching from IBM to MacIntosh. What's next, I wonder.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger American Lung Association of Minnesota said…

    Welcome to Mac World, PMB. I use an IBM at work and a Mac at home, so I have had a foot in both worlds for some time now. While not the perfect platform some MACiacs believe it to be, Steve Job's magic box does have some nice features you will enjoy. With today's software, there isn't as much difference between Mac and IBM as in the past.

    One drawback -- on some Mac browsers, Capt. Fishsticks' site will look strange -- but no stranger than his May 2 posting that places me and the State Epidemiologist Dr. Hull in an exploding frog mystery from Germany. I'm not making this up, but he is...

    I found the post thanks to brother Marcus, who continues to proclaim the miracle powers of "The St. Louis Park Study" from up in the Attic.

    Enjoy your new MAC, PBM.

     
  • At 10:30 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Thanks, Bob.
    I feel weird. Mostly, I feel like a dork. I am sure there are things that a Mac does that I'm not aware of. If a Mac were a hammer, I might be trying to pound nails with the claw end. The IBM keyboard has a key labeled "END". It brings the cursor to the end of the current line of type. With the Mac, I can't find such a key, so I use the -> key. And I think that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'll be investigating MacIntosh's website as well as user fansites to pick up on tips.
    My plan is to try and rely on my Mac almost exclusively until I know it. Then I will reconstitute my HP and network them.
    So far, BowieNet looks really clunky. I am not sure if I've simply not downloaded the proper version of Flash.
    How ironic that Tiger was just this week released. So many longtime Mac users are clamoring to get it. I'm still trying to learn OS9 and an earlier 10.1.5. What's that? Jaguar?
    I'm juiced.

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger American Lung Association of Minnesota said…

    Yeah, the keyboard differences still trip me up sometimes. Then I have to call on my Mac-minded spouse for help.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home