pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Precious pupp

Listening to the NARN this afternoon, there was a wonderful call over the phone. A fellow observed that Senator John McCain reminds him of "that snickering dog on the Huckleberry Hound Cartoon Show". A bit of a snicker could be heard coming from the mics of the bloggers, so I think they liked that characterization of McCain as much as I do. I'm not absolutely sure what snickering dog the caller was referring to. I seem to remember a white dog who walked on two legs and he had a laugh that was a breathy "hhhghhh hghhhhhh hghhhhhh" sound that came from his chest cavity and was motivated by a self-satisfied glee in his own destructiveness. But a little bit of Googling brought me to Precious Pupp. Only trouble is, Precious Pupp was much later than Huckleberry Hound and was on the Atom Ant Show. If I'm not mistaken, I think Precious Pupp had the same laugh as that white dog the caller may have been talking about.

If any readers have The Cartoon Network and might know the answer to the identity of this dog, please leave a Comment or email me. If Precious Pupp is the character I think he is, it seems like he's a good fit for Senator John McCain. I'd like to see people refer to him from this point forward as Senator John "Precious Pupp" McCain, because of his self-important glee in doing damage to Republican Party votes.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Ed said…

    Muttley, I think. The Dastardly & Muttley cartoons were shown on the Huckleberry Hound show.

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Ed.
    I think you're onto something here! The link you provide has the sound bite I was trying to describe. Also, the theme song decribes Muttley as a "snickering" hound, just as the caller had.
    I don't remember Dastardly & Muttley cartoons on the Huckleberry Hound Show, but I take your's and the caller's word for it.
    From this point forward, I will refer to Senator John McCain as Muttley McCain.

    Hghhhhhh Hghhhhhhh Hghhhhhhh Hghhhhhhh!

    Haha. Muttley even looks a bit like McCain.

    Has a certain ring to it, I think.

    Thank you, Ed, for your intrepid cartooning detective work. Jeez, I love the Internet.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Lupercal said…

    Both the sniggering hounds in question were voiced by Don Messick. Precious Pupp was the original sniggerer, but Messick used the snigger again for Muttley (and possibly other Hanna Barbera dogs I can't remember). He was last heard sniggering shortly before his death as Muttley on 'Yogi's Treasure Hunt' in the mid 80's.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home