pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Thursday, July 21, 2005

James doohan, r.i.p.

The actor who is known to just about everyone as Scotty has passed away.

A couple of thoughts. I didn't know Doohan was missing a finger. But when I'd read about it, I recalled a shot or two in Star Trek where he'd been holding his hand in an unnatural manner but I'd not known what to make of that. I'm not doing an investigative report for you on all the Treks and what Scotty's doing with his hands. But sooner or later I'll catch up with this matter and bring the facts to you, dear pinkmonkeybirdreader.

Another thing. And no one I know of has ever addressed this. In the earlier shows, Scotty combs his hair forward with bangs across his eyebrows.
In season three he combs his hair straight back.

Why? I always liked the bangs. They made Scotty look friendlier, imho. When he combed it straight back, he seemed a bit more distant and impersonal. I suspect there was some reason for this. I doubt that some exec at NBC decided that more women would watch Star Trek more if Scotty combed his hair back. But I doubt that Doohan just changed it on a whim.

Maybe Doohan had a weird growth growing out of his pate and the comb-over covered it up. Anyone who hides a missing finger is capable of anything. I don't know. But it will haunt me for the rest of my days until I learn why. Doohan may rest in peace, but I won't. Maybe I'll find my answer in the official Star Trek site forum. After all, isn't that what forums were created for?

Btw, Lileks has a thought or two about Scotty.

Update: Martin Andrade also weighs in on Scotty. Be sure to check out the Comments.

8 Comments:

  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger Marty said…

    You're writing about James Doohan's Bangs? And you call me gay?

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Now, now, Marty.
    We've cautioned you before not to quote out of context. (I just made that up, 'cos it sounds like it might be true.)
    Actually, I had the hots, still do, for Yeoman Janice Rand. Daddy like.
    Reportedly, she was a sex addict. That does not hamper my fantasies about her one bit.

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger R-Five said…

    Both Scotty and Doohan were clearly the ones we would all like to have met. He was a significantly better actor than the late DeForest Kelly who insisted on star billing.

    As I recall, JD also was the voice of the M-5 multi-tronic unit of "The Ultimate Computer" episode and origin of my own R-5 nom de blog.

    If I had your collection, I'd be poking through them to assemble some Scotty quotes, like "the best diplomacy I know is a fully charged phasor bank." It would be a great post!

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Sorry, R-Five.
    You'll so no such pandering post from this blog. James Doohan should rest in peace. I've already linked to the official Star Trek website. They have an adequate tribute to Doohan. If you haven't seen it, I urge you to do so. Just click on my link in my post and then select the video tribute to Scotty. It's rather good until it ventures into the sucky films and cameos in the spin-off programs.

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger R-Five said…

    I just saw the video. Your point is well taken, hard to top that tribute.

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I never knew he was missing a finger. I'm curious now as to which one. Hmmmmm...

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Anon.
    Doohan was missing his middle finger of his right hand. It was shot off in WWII. Cool, huh?

     
  • At 4:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh wow, I never knew that.

    That's somethin' alright.

    Thanks for the info. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home