pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Eye of god

I've taken a peculiar and unique interest in hurricane Katrina just this past day. I didn't know much about New Orleans, having only passed through that city back in 1972, until I visited a friend there last November. The French Quarter enchanted me, as it has for so many people who discover it. My experience is even less so for the other 1,631 statute miles of general coastline the U.S. holds from Florida to Texas on the Gulf.
Since I hadn't been there and knew little of any persons who live there, hurricanes mostly seemed to be things that happened only on television or in the newspaper.

Looking down from the sky, Florida seems to be a cruelty designed to expose as much land to deadly hurricanes as can possibly be mustered. And the gentle curve of the coastline seems to hug the great eye almost like a sleeper's head is cradled in the crook of his arm as he dreams. Katrina, the great Eye of God, slowly tracks north and westward from the mouthway of the Gulf, past the peninsula and is due to penetrate terra very close to New Orleans, if not dead on. My friend in Big Easy tells me that they use voodoo to dispel hurricanes from the old sea port. It's worked, more or less for many years to keep them safe. And, having seen the history in the streets of the French Quarter, I cannot imagine otherwise. History such as this is just too well earned to be tossed away in a storm.

With one foot on the platform, And one foot on the train I'm goin' back to New Orleans To wear the ball and chain.

I'm going back to New Orleans
My race is almost run;
I'm going back to spend the rest of my life
|: Beneath that Rising Sun. :|

-House of the Rising Sun

Let's hope that old voodoo still holds its charm. God protect you, New Orleans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home