pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Gwyneth Paltrow stabs me in my heart

I saw it coming, but that didn't shield me from painful news that Gwyneth Paltrow is not proud to be an American.

' 'I don't want to live [in America]. Bush's anti-environment, pro-war policies are a dis. . . ." Well, you can guess the rest.

I can't even blame the lead singer of Coldplay for polluting Gwyneth's mind and heart. This is the real Gwyneth. This is terrible. Today's Hollywood is in dire need of true stars, true acting talents with class. And Gwyneth Paltrow is the real deal. I place her in league with Audrey Hepburn. A true star.



So this is quite a dilemma for me. Do I slap down hard-earned American bucks to see this talented beauty in her next film? Or do I give her the Matt Damon treatment? (Also known as the Sean Penn treatment).
Once I know that a movie star is spouting off of their politics, I find it difficult to suspend reality and accept their character.

I think Ms. Paltrow has made it much, much easier for me to stay away.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:28 PM, Blogger hammerswing75 said…

    I don't know if you noticed a recent spat involving Mitch and JB Doubtless. The former loves his music and art no matter what its provenance. JB insists on greater purity.

    I know where you're coming from and pronouncements from Hollywood stars can turn your stomach. But if they're good, go see their movies. What bugs me more is when the movie itself demeans my worldview.

     
  • At 7:40 AM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Good points, Hammerswing.
    No, I am unaware of any such discussion between JB & Mitch. Isn't JB still on his honeymoon? If so, isn't Mrs. Doubtless upset with her husband for neglecting their love so early, sparring on the blogosphere? Sounds to me like she needs to reel him in a bit back home.
    I am not so chained to ideology that I cannot escape knowledge of political views held by any & all celebrities.
    I imagine I will see Gwyneth Paltrow movies again. I'll merely have a moment of pause now that I did not have before.
    David Bowie is thought to be of a leftist bent. My reception of his music & moving image art is not polluted by noisy pronouncements coming from him...because he makes none.

    We are all entitled to our opinions. But the instrument of an actress is her face, her body, her voice, her persona.
    If I went to a Sean Penn movie, it would require a massive effort on my part to dispell the image of the foolhearty activist from the fine actor.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home