pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Monday, October 31, 2005

A step forward

Happy Halloween everyone!

It's a beautiful Fall day. Perfect for trick o' treating, if that's what you would choose to do on a Monday evening when weekends seem to serve the purpose just fine for most ghouls. Oh sure, children don't trick or treat on any day in their neighborhood but Halloween proper. Various organized events for kids may well fall on the abutting weekend, but knocking on the door down the street is for tonight.
I've lived in my Uptown home for 12 years now and I've never seen a trick or treating kid at my door...ever. And that includes those years that I had the lights on and had a bowl of Butterfingers on hand.

Anyways, Halloween is not really what I had sat down to write about today. I call this post "A step forward" because I just finished doing some one-armed yard work. And ya know what?
Not only did I accomplish a thing or two with just one arm, but I actually enjoyed it. Maybe that shouldn't be a surprise to me, but it was. I think I feared I would be angry or sad or slip into depression to do yard work with just one arm. So, instead I watched tv or walked Lake Calhoun or slept. But today I felt up to it and trimmed some brush on a walkway, hauled some plants indoors, pulled up a border fence...little things. Felt good.

Rather than debilitating me from doing much of anything, the free time I have off work and a newfound willingness to do those little chores may end up becoming a boon for my domestic upkeep. Gee...maybe tomorrow I should vacuum the stairs.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So sorry to hear about your elbow -- I truly hope it's fully healed now! We would welcome any word on your recovery . . . .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home