pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Surgery recovery

I just returned home yesterday from my second operation on my shattered left elbow. I don't think it's a good idea for a blogger to publish the fact that he or she will not be home for a few days.

I hope I am now on the mend. A nurse told me as soon as I became cognizant out of surgery that my surgeon felt things went well. That gave me quite a bit to be thankful for.

Now I am on pain killer and my pain is moderating to previously manageable levels. I'm working on a ginormous cherry coke and am about to watch Constantine, starring Keanu Reeves.

I did a dumb thing in surgery. When I was reeling with pain, doped up on anesthesia, I cried out, "Saddam! Saddam did this to me!"
One of the surgeon's assistants said, "Saddam? Are you delirious?"


Instantly, I realized that my little joke was unnecessary, inconsiderate and inappropriate. "I am sorry", I said. "Mild political commentary. I apologize. I am a fool. I love you".

They must hear a lot of foolish talk in the operating room, so I hope they have forgiven me. After all, here are these many dedicated professionals trying to save my arm and reconstruct my life, and I'm calling them Saddam?

It was of little or no surprise next day after I'd been assessed and interviews were conducted, someone put this question to me: "Do you believe that anyone is intentionally trying to kill or harm you?"

"Interesting question. No."
I hope that will be the end of the matter. Thank you, people of the medical health field, for doing all you can to help me.

Update: During my viewing of Constantine, I kept screaming out. "Saddam! Saddam! Stop the torture!" This movie is really bad in my opinion. I watched much of it out of the corner of my eye as I surfed the Web. We might use this movie to extract information at Gitmo, except such measures would be worse than the Gulags of the Soviets and the concentration camps of the Nazis.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger hammerswing75 said…

    "Saddam? Are you delirious?"
    If ever there was a silly question this was it. "No, the drugs you gave me have cleared my head and I'm really quite rational!"

    Don't worry though, Saddam can't hurt you anymore.

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    lol, HS75.
    Nice dovetail with Steyn's piece of yesterday, "Media utters nonsense, won't call enemy out".
    Of course, Saddam is not an Islamic
    Militant, but we're all sick and tired of the kid glove treatment he gets in pc circles, as well.

    If I'd wanted to attract additional care giving, all I would have to do is continue to scream Saddam's name. They would lock me up in the rubber room.

    Of course, to their credit, I would receive that same concern if I screamed out "Bush!".

    It's so very hard to know what passes for "rational" these days. Apathy, perhaps?

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger hammerswing75 said…

    There are so many voices that it's hard to distill all of them into an easy definition. Apathy is rampant, but so is aggressive free speech (bloggers).

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Moon said…

    Dang, you need to take care of that elbow. Saddam's a fairly common Arabic name, and, there are a lot of Arabic doctors in this neck of the woods. I REALLY wouldn't want to offend the person putting my elbow back together. I mean, that's probably the most strategic joint you've got at this point in life.

    ( In other words, take care, get well soon, and the next time, keep to the theme and yell "You're squawking like a pink monkey bird dammit!" )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home