pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Friday, November 11, 2005

That 70s music

Surfing the television stations this morning, I came across one of those half hour commercials from Time-Life for a box set of the music of your life. This one is called 70s Music Explosion.

This is a wonderful, exciting, riveting commercial that everyone who lived through the 70s should stop and watch from beginning to end. These songs, many of them, were recorded and played constantly on the radio and yet I never heard of most of these bands or performers. This commercial is filled with moments of brilliant realizations; "Oh! Pilot! So that's who sang that song!" I never heard of Pilot, yet their song is immediately recognizable to me. They had a hit with a song called Magic.

Oh, oh, oh it's magic. It's so-oh-oh Blah blah blah blah blah blah oh

The Time-Life 70s Music Explosion is a treasure trove of music that you hated all through the 70s, as well as a few gems. But they are now masterfully put all together on 10 cds so they are in one place for you to sneer at. It's kinda like golden oldies radio only without the commercials, so that you can continue to sneer and sneer and sneer without distraction. I actually thought about buying this box, but I talked myself out of it because I'm afraid my face might peel off from chronic sneering.

The 70s is my era. That's when David Bowie was leading the pack in glam rock. So this package really is targeted at marks like me who go all woozy and soft in the middle from memories that flood back at the slightest whiff of these recordings. I'm sure this box set would be a valued possession for many people. But for myself, the television commercial seems to be all I need. I can record this commercial on my VCR and relive the 70s over and over again for a blissful half hour for free and see the video clips, too.

And remember; Disco still sucks.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger hammerswing75 said…

    Scott, I have never heard or seen as much as a mini-sneer from you. 70s music has brought out sneers aplenty! Have you any sneers left for the 80s (my formative decade)? I hope so, because the Reagan years were very sneerable so far as music was concerned. In fact, I could probably contort my face more when imagining Madonna and Duran Duran than you could imagining Donna Sommers and the Ohio Players. At least you still had Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and a few leftover hits from the hippy giants.

    Sidenote: It was nice to see you again at Keegan's, woeful performances though they may have been.

     
  • At 12:57 AM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    I'm a punk rocker. Or, I was, at one time. Punk was a reaction to Top 40 music. The hits of the 70s is the music I loved to hate. But Elton John and many of the most deliciously hateable recordings aren't in this package. Still, Don McLean's American Pie makes up for most of those horrible omissions. Is there a more loathsome song to be found anywhere?

    Yes, I rather like becoming a regular at Keegan's on Thursdays. Hope to see you next time.

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger CAT said…

    So funny...I was surfing the net looking for a clip of the 70s Music Explosion commercial and I came across your blog....You said you saw it on TV? Do you mind me asking which state you live in? I'm in that commercial, actually, and I'm looking to post it to one of my websites. If you see it on line, I'd be really grateful for a clip of it (and yes, I've seen the one with Greg Brady aka Barry Williams in it...and that's not the version that I'm in...I did the 30 min. infomercial-esque spot.) Oh, and they shot an 80s version of the CDs too, but I don't know if that's out yet. It has all the 80s stuff you loved to hate as well...

    Hope you don't mind me checking out your blog!

    CAT
    www.savethepetskatrinarescue.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home