pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Check-up

I saw my attending surgeon this morning by appointment. Things are looking good. My x-rays show good healing. My doctor showed me a space he'd cut in my radius that he had to create in order to access areas. That space is not yet healed, but that's to be expected.
In short, there were no surprises. I'm on track. I'm still swelling at the elbow, but my doctor is not alarmed by this and believes it will gradually reduce. He gave me a prescription for vicodin so that I can sleep nights undisturbed. I'm planning on using it only at bedtime. During the day, Extra Strength Tylenol should suffice. But I am weaning myself off of painkillers.
Chief of Freedom Dogs warned me months ago that this sort of injury makes it easy to gain unwanted weight. I stubbornly replied that it was my intention to do the opposite and lose weight while I was laid up. I was wrong. I've gained about ten pounds. But, you know what? I don't care. While I've been laid up, I've been slothful and lazy about many things. Yes, I allowed the scourge of Hostess Ho Hos to dig their hooks into my soft flesh, but I was comforted by them like an invalid soldier is comforted by a young nurse with a tight behind. I've been focused on healing myself. When I go back to my day job next month I'll rejoin the rat race, resume the daily exercise and get myself back onto a sensible diet and lose the weight. Heck, Robert DeNiro did it, so can I.
My surgeon thinks I'm ready now for "resistance" exercises in my physical therapy. This is also known as "strength" exercise. These consist of simple exercises that entail utilizing my muscles in more ways than simply lifting the weight of my arm. These kinds of exercises are crucial in the healing process.

Things are looking up. Thanks for all your caring and concerns, dear reader. I'm gonna be okay.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Upi smd me both. Scott. It has been just under a year since my cast came off and I am finally getting around to getting serious about the diet. Your arm is bad, but even worse is low back, hips, knees or ankles. Anything that restricts walking around is your worst enemy. But hey, we all know the bottom line is "comfort" food. If you don't eat too much and eat the right things, your exercise can be very moderate and we can get there again.

    Chief

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    You are so right, Chief. I can't take anything for granted. The older we get, the more discipline comes hard.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home