pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Thou shalt not misinterpret

Thoughout my life, I've always been under the false impression that the Lord's Sixth Commandment forbids any man or woman from killing another man or woman under any circumstances whatsoever. If my confession doesn't already tip you off, I am not a Biblical scholar. In fact, there's very little of the Bible that I've even read. Perhaps I should.

In other words, I had thought that every soldier in the world and in the history of the world commits a sin when he or she kills. It was my assumption that this killing must be atoned for as a violation of God's Law. After all, would the Pope kill someone who was going to kill him? Would Christ kill for any reason whatsoever? No. Of course not.
I had thought the Ten Commandments was an expression of absolute devotion to God.

It turns out that I am wrong.

Last week I sent this matter to my friend and fellow MOBster, Doug Bass of Crossword BeBop blog, who has devoted some significant part of his interest in understanding Christianity.

How is a soldier not violating God's law? Because the word for what a soldier does is not the word for "kill" that is in "Thou shalt not kill."

Of course, we already know that the Muslim soldier is not violating God's Law when he kills. He's following the Prophet's example.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home