pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Saturday, December 17, 2005

W addresses the nsa wire taps

When I was at the U of M campus in the summer of 2004 for a Bush rally, I happened to run into a friend and client who is a liberal Democrat. He and I got into a brief discussion of W. My friend warned that we must not allow W to be reelected because he most certainly would be impeached for illegal activities if he were, and our country just can't survive that kind of dishonor and that kind of blow to stability.
I thought that was an absurd argument and that it mostly went toward describing the depths of Bush Hatred Syndrome more than it did the real world.

But I must say that my friend's words came crashing back at me when I read the headlines the other day of Bush's questionable and probably illegal wiretap authorization through the National Security Agency. Was this the fulfilled prophecy?, I wondered.

Last night on the Jim Lehrer News Hour, David Brooks chided the White House for not at least explaining to the American people why he did it and how it is legal.
So it's with quite a bit of relief that I read in Fox News today that the president has done just that.

This authorization is a vital tool in our war against the terrorists. It is critical to saving American lives. The American people expect me to do everything in my power, under our laws and Constitution, to protect them and their civil liberties and that is exactly what I will continue to do as long as I am president of the United States," Bush said.

This is satisfactory for me to be able to sleep nights and remain faithful to the president. White House counsel has examined this procedure and found it to be within the law. That's good enough for me. I understand that bad guys are trying to kill us. I want my president doing everything he can within the law to protect my safety and the safety of the country. I have no objection to the NSA's wiretaps. They are welcome to wiretap me, as they will find nothing worth bothering over.

The Bush Administration, once again, seems to understand that if they do anything illegal or try to cover up any illegal activity, will be found out by a hostile press and will be brought down like Richard Nixon was. They therefore devote much energy toward remaining within legal bounds and toward showing transparency of legality.

Of course, that's not good enough for the barking moonbat Chimpy McBushitler BHS lefties and the hostile liberal biased msm and the opposition-at-any-price Democrats.

CLARIFICATION: As I've been learning more about the NSA wiretaps, I've come to understand that I and most Americans have nothing to fear in the way of wiretaps on ourselves.
So, regarding my line; "
They are welcome to wiretap me, as they will find nothing worth bothering over."
There is no reason for any American to worry that his or her phone is being tapped unless he or she is phoning terrorists overseas. Most of the taps were conducted on non-citizens who fit that profile.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

    -Ben Franklin

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Take heart, Anon.
    Our Essential Liberties are very much intact. For example, you are still at liberty to quote Franklin.

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The essence of your response sounds a lot like: "you're lucky to even be able to say THAT much."

    "liberty (n): immunity from arbitrary exercise of authority."

    I am not interested in offsetting our situation against a negative example. I am interested in preserving the noble ideals upon which this nation was founded and into which it should continue to develop.

    In other words:
    I understand that I am still at liberty to quote Franklin. As I should be. I should also be at liberty to avoid unwarranted (arbitrary) governmental invasions of my privacy.

    (all i'm saying is that treating noble citizens as if they were criminals and justifying it as patriotic or as necessity is probably a fast track to doing some grievous damage to the (evidently quite malleable) standard of "liberty" for which people are willing to settle.)

    This is the liberty which americans (and MANY others) have fought and died to preserve. It seems a disgusting irony that it is invoked in the same breath which revokes it.

    once again:
    "liberty (n): immunity from arbitrary exercise of authority."

    wiretaps without warrants: arbitrary exercise of authority.

    are you certain that this is a precedent you wish to defend?

    -Anon.

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Anon.
    The operative word in your def. of "liberty" is the word "arbitrary". To my understanding, there was nothing arbitrary about the taps. They were very narrowly directed toward those overseas callers who are suspected of ties to foreign enemies.

    Yes, I accept that exercise and I think most Americans do as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home