pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Monday, February 20, 2006

One-alarm chili

Wintertime is great for making chili. Maybe it's just because it's wintertime or maybe I got a taste in my mouth at the SD63 Chili Dinner that I just couldn't quit. But I made a big batch of vegetarian black bean chili for my daily lunch pail just yesterday. At work today, I was comparing lunches with my customers, asking what they had in their bag (tuna sand) and then telling of my vegetarian black bean chili I made.

"How many alarms?," David asked.

That question stopped me in my tracks.

"One. One alarm, " I reported honestly.
"Then it doesn't count," David intoned.

My God, he's right. One-alarm chili isn't chili. It's just stewed black beans. But I followed the recipe. It called for 4 cloves of garlic, 2 minced jalapeno peppers and a slew of other spices tossed in. I don't remember the last time I used this recipe. I was being cautious and followed the details to the letter. I think this chili could easily have room for 5 minced jalapenos and perhaps another 3 tablespoons of chili powder. It's weak.

Only one thing to do. Tomorrow I'll stop at the convenience store (conveniently located right in the building) and buy a bottle of Tabasco Sauce. Just a couple squirts of that will bring the alarms up from one to oh....I don't know. Three alarms oughta do it

Getting home from the gym this evening I found a notice rubberbanded to my front door. The CARAG Chilly Chili Fest is this Sunday. I think I'll go.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger hammerswing75 said…

    Bring your tabasco sauce, just in case. Also, remember to call Karl for your talking points.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home