pinkmonkeybird

...busting up my brains for the words

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Caucus summary

I convened my local Republican precinct caucus last night. It was my first experience as convener and it went reasonably well. After all, the entire caucus was scripted out for we conveners onto paper. As has been noted across the land, attendance was down since 2004. The obvious reason is that 2004 was a presidential election year. I can't argue with that reasoning. But it strikes me as odd. After all, precinct caucuses are local politics...as local as you can get. I was drawn to that 2004 Republican caucus along with about a dozen other (mostly) men in my precinct. While I stayed active in the party these past two years and especially up through the national general election of November, I hardly ever again saw any of the other attendees from that caucus two years ago. So it makes me wonder what they sacrificed one to two hours of their time for that chilly March evening.
For my own part (as I've found myself explaining now and then to folks) I came to realize after George W. Bush was reelected, that if I walked away from political activism then simply because my guy was still in the Oval Office, I would be defeating myself. Once you're smitten with the political bug you know too much to simply walk away. At the same time, some people overwork or overextend themselves and ultimately burn out. The trick is to know your limits and know your capacities and work within them while you grow into the role.

I learned a few things last night. And I was lucky enough to meet an activist contact who is new to my precinct and a sharp cracker. I hope to convene my caucus again in 2008. By then I'll have accumulated yet more knowledge and experience. Last night I had the honor of being elected Precinct Chair as well as Delegate to my BPOU Convention taking place a week from this Saturday.

Coincidentally, I am reading Paul Johnson's A History Of The American People. Currently, I happen to be reading Johnson's account of the creation of the U.S. Constitution. We are very lucky to have this form of government in America. Participation makes the learning all the more potent. *Cue fife and drums*

3 Comments:

  • At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Rob said…

    Thank you Scott for getting more involved in the Party. It's people like you that will help us make this state go Red!

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger pinkmonkeybird said…

    Well let me thank you for all the amazing organizing and activism you've inspired, Rob.

    You are a great American. I'm hope I'll see you this Saturday at O'Gara's.

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Rob said…

    I'll be there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home